fluorescent fungus

Regis.Courtecuisse Regis.Courtecuisse at phare.univ-lille2.fr
Mon Mar 18 10:08:56 EST 1996

In article <314C95C7.7C3F at botany.uq.edu.au>, H.Martin at botany.uq.edu.au
says...

>Hi,
>I've been looking at fungi from the phylloplane of (Opuntia spp.) and I
>have isolated a fungus which, when grown on PDA, releases some sort of
>fluorescent chemical into the media when viewed under near UV light.
>Does anyone know anything about these fungi.  I would welcome any
>information.
>
>Heidi Martin
>
>H.Martin at botany.uq.edu.au

Hi !

Have you an idea of the group in which belongs your fungus ?

Much work has been done on luminous agarics (gilled fungi). Most of the
species seem to belong in Tricholomatales and derivatives. For example,
leet's cite :
Armillaria mellea, Omphalotus olearius, Lampteromyces japonicus, many
Mycena species (especially in Southern and Eastern Hemispheres), some
Panellus and others...
I have no recent review of the subject at hand without looking especially
for it, but I can give you some classical references, especially the
works by E.J.H.Corner :
Corner E.J.H. -1950- Descriptions of two luminous tropical agarics
(Dictyopanus and Mycena). Mycologia 42(3):423-431
Corner E.J.H. -1954- Further descriptions of luminous agarics.
Trans.Brit.Mycol.soc. 37(3):256-271
Wassink E.C. -1948- Observations on the luminescence in fungi 1.
Including a critical review of the species mentioned as luminescent in
literature. Rec.Trav.Bot.Neerl. 41:150-212
Josserand M. -1953- Sur la luminescence de Mycena rorida en Europe
Occidentale. Bull.mens.Soc.Linn.Lyon 22:99-102

	Further search for data on the topic along my files could be
fruitful as well, but more time-consuming. Let me know if you need more.

	Regards.

	Regis.