Anaerobic Fungi...

Grunden Eric grunden at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 20 18:42:04 EST 1996

Much to my surprise, I recently read about the existence of fungi
which are obligate anaerobes. This has set me to wondering; Do
these fungi ever produce fruiting bodies or are they strictly
asexual?  Are they edible? Are they (like the leaf-cutter fungus)
the next, as of yet, undiscovered delicacy, waiting to be prized
by gourmets worldwide? Curious....?  Oh, also, there are many
cases of fungi parasitizing plants, but does the opposite ever
occur? Is there a parasitic plant that exists off of fungi?
I know that insectivorous plants utilize the chitin of insects as a
nitrogen source, and that's why I began wondering if any plants
utilize fungal chitin in a similar manner. Any thoughts?......