Anaerobic Fungi...

Thomas O'Dell todell at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 21 14:19:12 EST 1996

The best candidate for plants parasitizing fungi are the Mycoheterotrophic
plants  such as the Monotropoideae (Monotropa and allies, achlorophyllous
Ericaceae; aka the indian pipes), some orchids may also rely on fungi as
the sole source of carbon and mineral nutrients. Until there is
demonstrable evidence of benefit to fungus, the relationship is best
described as parasitism. See J. Leake's recent (1994?) review in the New
Phytologist for a thorough discussion.
The obligate anerobic fungi all live in the guts of herbivores and seem
unlikely candidates for consumption...

todell at u.washington.edu
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
H.S. Thompson