Anaerobic Fungi...

Terry Brown tb at tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz
Sat Mar 23 02:48:32 EST 1996

Eric Grunden wrote:

> Kinda, but not quite. I want to know if there are any plants that
> consume fungi until the fungus dies. A true parasite or pathogen
> of the fungus.

I think I read somewhere that when a mycorrhizal relationship breaks down some
of the fungal material may be "consumed" by the plant, but I think this was in
the context of extreme conditions (plant dying), and even then is probably only
a peripheral phenomena of little importance.

But I think there's supposed to be an orchid that gets its C from the saprohytic
activity of its mycorrhiza thorughout it's lifespan, even then I don't know if
you'd call it a parasite, although I don't know what's in it for the fungus.

Terry Brown                      email: brown at lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz
Lincoln Environmental            http://tbrown.lvlham.lincoln.ac.nz/~tb
Private Bag 3062 Hamilton        Ph. +64 7 838 5901 W +64 7 855 9001 H
New Zealand                      Fax +64 7 838 5372