Anaerobic Fungi...

Dave Jefferies Dave at tuber.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 20:07:47 EST 1996

A few remnants of my mycological knowledge:

The obligate anaerobes were discovered in, if my memory servres me,
sheeps' guts and not immediately recognized as fungi (since fungi are
aerobic!). I no longer have any references to hand.

The orchid mycorrhzas could be described as the plants being parasitic
on fungi. This would be the case in particular with those orchids that
lack chlorophyll but look up the development of the dust like orchid
seeds.

There is a fundamental problem in the term 'parasite' since this
describes just one part of the symbiotic spectrum. The exact
relationship in terms of net nutrient flows will vary depending on the
environment/development of the symbiosis.

A colleague, Johnathan Leake of Sheffield (UK) University, published a
review of plants without chlorophyll in New Phytologist about 2 years
ago and that may be of interest.

Dave
Whose heart is filled with fungi but now turns to computers to fill his
purse.

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960320173317.218558A-100000 at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Grunden Eric <grunden at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu> writes

--