Killing spores in smelly shoes?

Paul Zambino paulz at PUCCINI.CRL.UMN.EDU
Mon Mar 25 18:28:58 EST 1996

>I have a couple pair of shoes that somehow got contaminated
>with what I take to be a fungi of some kind.  None of my other
>shoes, nor my feet, smell.  ...
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>I prefer some kind of natural or "green" solution if possible.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Marc
Marc, you might check what materials the shoes are made of.  I have had
some smelly pairs before, too.  One was a pair of hush-puppies (pigskin)
another a pair of cheap tennis (poor quality rubber that didn't breath
well).  The smell may be due to the materials, or the materials favoring
bacterial or fungal growth, but my guess is that even if you are able to
disinfest the shoes, that it won't be a permanent solution.  Try odor
eaters or the equivalent, that contain activated charcoal to absorb the
organic compounds that are what we smell.  Paul

Paul Zambino, Ph.D.
USDA Forest Service
Forestry Sciences Lab
5985 Highway K