commercial mushroom cultivation (fwd)

MSDN MSDN at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 14:35:13 EST 1996

I am forwarding the following enquiry received at MSDN. Can
anybody help? Thanks,  Sunil Nandi, MSDN, Sheffield, UK

From: karen preece <karen at zensys.co.uk>
To: MSDN at sheffield.ac.uk
Subject: commercial mushroom cultivation

HI we are a riding farm situated above Rochdale, Lancs and over the
winter have amassed a big pile of compost from horses, straw and
woodchip.
We are thinking of cultivating organic mushrooms on a large scale basis
(the compost heap is pretty huge at the moment)

Can mushrooms be cultivated in such an environment - ie pretty harsh
weather conditions, lots of manure to keep the mushrooms growing etc

Any comments would be much appreciated.