Derivation of "Agaric"

Clifford Brian Odom odom at netcom.com
Thu Mar 28 12:36:05 EST 1996

Stephen R. Berlant (Berlant at dynanet.com) wrote:
: In article <odomDotwou.JHI at netcom.com>,
:    odom at netcom.com (Clifford Brian Odom) wrote:
: >Stephen P. Bentivenga (invam at WVNVM.WVNET.EDU) wrote:
: ....
: >
: ><SNIP>
: >
: >: Stephen R. Berlant wrote:
: >: >To the contrary, it always seemed to me that "fly-agaric" must have been
: >: >derived from our word "agar" for a growth medium"; because, the mushrooms
: >: >odor, resembling that of rotting flesh, caused flies to lay their eggs on
: it,
: >: >as evidenced by popular reports that maggots appear on the mushroom soon
: after
: >: >it starts to decay.
: >: >
: >: >I was wondering if anybody had any recent info that supported or refute
: either
: >: >of these positions.
: >: >
: >: >My thanks in advance.
: >: >
: >: >Stephen R. Berlant

: >Technically, "agar" does not refer to growth media, it is simply an
: >additive used to solidify nutrient solutions. Agar is specifically used
: >for this task because it cannot be metabolized (provide nutrition) by
: >most organisms.

: Imho, this technical definition of agar should probably be viewed as a
: refinement of the originally broader definition of the Malay etymon of "agar",
: "agar-agar", which referred to "a gelatinous material derived from certain
: marine algae". These algae are those that form seaweeds like kelp, rockweed,
: or gulfweed, which Polynesians and others have used as the "growth medium" we
: refer to as "fertilizer" from time immemorial, precisely because they can be
: and are metabolized by many organisms.

: Regards,

: Steve Berlant

There are parts of seaweed that can be metablized, and seaweed was used
extensively as a fertilizer in pre-famine Ireland. But, the specific
compound agar is not metabolized, especially not after polymerization which
would only occur after boiling.

Brian