VAM (AMF) staining.

Stephen P. Bentivenga invam at WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
Fri May 3 15:34:37 EST 1996

On Fri, 3 May 1996 19:11:31 GMT  ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk ("K N and P J
Harris") said:

>Force of circumstance made me carry out some standard staining of onion
>roots for VAM which had been dried and kept very dry for six months. So
>dry that they were very brittle. A normal KOH then HCl then Trypan Blue
>stain was applied. I am sure that the results were better than with
>fresh root material. Has anyone else had the same experience ?
>Peter Harris,
>Department of Soil Science (The only one left in UK)
>University of Reading.

I routinely stain roots after they have been oven dried.  I have found it is
the most convenient way to get both dry mass and % colonization data.  It
works well with most plant species.  I would not say that the results are
"better" but they are not any worse.  The only problem I have found is that
the hyphae and arbuscules often collapse after drying, making good
photographs difficult.  If you need pictures of the text book arbuscules I
don't recommend drying.

- Steve Bentivenga

        .|             Stephen P. Bentivenga, Ph.D.        __            __
        ||             Division of Plant and Soil Sciences   \          /
      _/ |____         401 Brooks Hall - Box 6057             \        /
    _/    *   | _.--.  West Virginia University                \  /\  /
  _/     WVU  |/ _/\_) Morgantown, WV  26506-6057               \/  \/
(           __/        Phone:    304-293-3911                     \      /
 \        _/           FAX:      304-293-2872                      \    /
  \_    _/             Internet: invam at wvnvm.wvnet.edu              \  /
    `--'               www:      http://invam.caf.wvu.edu            \/