No Morels yet, southwest Virginia

David N. Gaines dgaines at vt.edu
Sun May 19 23:30:56 EST 1996

Well, I have not looked in about two weeks, but there were no morels
found by me or anyone I know between early April and early May.  I looked
without luck in my  favorite spots, and was beginning to suspect that I
had lost my eyesight but several other people I know have also looked in
their spots without luck.  Not even a black morel (usually the first to
be found). Is it a bad year for this region?  The spring was a cold one
and the tulip poplar did not leaf out until the third week of April. The
redbuds bloomed at the same time (also late).  Has anyone else had luck
in these here parts?