a morel lesson

LauraL6000 laural6000 at aol.com
Thu May 23 01:16:42 EST 1996

I had an interesting morel experience this past week which I thought I
oughta pass along......the GOOD news is, I found LOTS of morels last week
here in the Catskills. Some trees (dead elms) with as many as 50 under
them......etc. Then I found a good 50-60 by a railroad track, and was all
ready to eat them when I was told by a mushroom expert, "DON'T!"

It turns out that they put all sorts of toxic substances (herbicides etc)
by the tracks, and one should never eat mushrooms picked near these types
of sites (dumps, highways etc).

It was with great sorrow that I had to dump them ALL out (because of
course I had mixed them all together by then), and I haven't found any
since, but such is life..........better to go morel-less than die of some
dreadful disease in 20 years, I suppose....

Anyway, for those of you like me who hadn't really taken note of WHERE you
found those morels -- learn from my lesson!