Morels and Calypso Orchids

Mycos williams at netshop.net
Tue May 28 10:17:51 EST 1996

In Arora's wonderful field guide he mentions finding morels growing in
close association with Calypso Orchids (Calypso bulbosa). I"m from
Kamloops, British Columbia, and find the same thing to be very true.
So much so that I use them as an indicator with a great deal of
success. As Arora was speaking of the southern Cascades, the great
geographic difference makes me wonder if there's not a mycorhizal
thing going on here. Does anybody find the same to be true in other
locations? Anybody have hard evidence i.e research, that demonstrates
this? It's known that orchids in general are particularly prone to
this behaviour but I know of nothing about these two species
specifically.

                          Thanks,

                                   Gary Williams