commercial advertisements on the mycology discussion group

Jack Murphy jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORG
Tue May 28 17:24:00 EST 1996

Dear fellow mycologists;
        It seems that there has been an increase in the number of commercial
advertisements that have found their way into our group lately.  I may be
overreacting, but I'm bombarded enough with advertisements and would like to
do what I can to discourage this practice.  My first inclination is to send
numerous long messages back to these advertisers, as a way to fill up their
RAM or hard drive or modem or whatever and waste as much of their time as
they have ours.  Is this a bad idea?  Does anyone more internet-literate
than I have any suggestions how we as a community can discourage this behavior?

sincerely,

Jack

Dr. John (Jack) Murphy  (JMURPHY at fmppr.fmnh.org)
Dept. of Botany