Pine straw digesters?

Bill N. wrn1445 at zeus.tamu.edu
Wed May 29 23:54:30 EST 1996

In article <134566191 at f55.n342.z1.ftn>, Acrinimiril
<Acrinimiril at probfate.alive.ampr.ab.ca> wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, all members of the orders Boletales and
> Russulales are charicteristically mycorrhizal.  For mass-destruction of
> woodland debris, I strongly recommend the use of hydnum or polypores.
> A lot of them are perennial, and grow very fast.  The best example I've
> seen is Hydnellum Sauvolens.  A very beautiful species, it is highly
> tolerant of extreme climate. Other "hedgehog" mushrooms also
> disintegrate wood very rapidly.  I've also seen species of Clitocybe <C.
> nebularis> breeze through pine needles -- also very tolerant of climate.
>  If you'd like, I'll consult my notes and compile a more comprehensive
> list for you, with species most likely to thrive in your area.
> Best of luck.
>
>  the Amanita Dinner Party @Edm.AB<CDN>

Boletaceae and Russulaceae are families, not orders.  But that's not why I
replied.  Apparently Boletinellus merulioides (family Boletaceae) is NOT
mycorrhizal, although it grows ONLY under ash.  This contradicts
everything I and practically everyone else in the Texas Mycological
Society has been saying for years.  My source is:

Brundrett, Mark and Bryce Kendrick.  1987.  The ecology of  Boletinellus
merulioides. 7th North American Conf. on Mycorrhizae p.88.

Apparently ash forms only AM (formerly VAM) associations.   O well,
learning this was quite a humbling experience!