papulospores

John JackMurphy jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORG
Mon Nov 4 10:42:04 EST 1996

Dear fellow mycophiles;
    Personalities aside, I am interested in the recent discussions
concerning the perithecium/pycnidium, cleistothecium/papulospore.
    As I understand it, both Basidiomycetes and Ascomycetes can from sexual
cells naked on a mycelium (e.g., Exobasidium and Taphrina).  There is a
form-order of Deuteromycetes which do the same with conidiophores - the
Moniliales.  Perithecia are flask-shaped structures containing asci;
pycnidia are flask-shaped structures containing conidiophores.
Functionally, these structures seem equivalent (whether they are homologous
or analogous I can't say, but I'd hypothesize the former).
       The introductory Mycology text by Alexopoulos, Mims and Blackwell
has no reference to conidiomata which resemble cleistothecia, which are
closed ascocarps containing asci.
    Ms. Collins suggests that the papulospore serves this function; i.e.,
it is a closed structure which contains conidia.  Ainsworth and Bisby
(1983) define the papulospore as a small rounded propagule comprising one
or more enlarged central cells surrounded by a sheath of smaller cells.
The question remains (for me, anyway), do these central cells act as
conidia?  If so, then functionally a papulospore is similar to a
cleistothecium.  I haven't browsed the library, but perhaps a reader with
experience with papulspores could comment.
   By the way, the reference to anal-retentiveness is not without
precedence in Mycology.  The interested reader might see Petersen (1976)
"Species concept in higher Basidiomycetes: taxonomy, biology, and
nomenclature." Herbette Symposium on species concept in Hymenomycetes.  Pp.
363-380.

sincerely,

Jack

John (Jack) Murphy