Culturing of Ectomycorrhizal fungi

Stephen P. Bentivenga bentiven at VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU
Thu Nov 7 14:42:30 EST 1996

On 6 Nov 1996 18:43:33 -0000, "mirjam.nieman" <mirjam.nieman at tip.nl> wrote:

> ..... I hope that someone does not mind e-mailing this
>"idiot" some info about the cultivation of A. muscaria after all!

If you're interested in culturing Amanita muscaria and other ectomycorrhizal
fungi, you should look up an excellent paper by Leonard Hutchinson (1991,
Description and Identification of cultures of ectomycorrhizal fungi found in
North America, MYCOTAXON 42: 387-504).

According to this paper, A. muscaria is relatively slow growing in culture,
producing only 18-40mm growth after 35 days on PDA at 18C.

Good Luck!

- Steve Bentivenga

      ___/^,       Stephen P. Bentivenga, Ph.D.
     ;      ^'--.    Department of Biology & Microbiology
    :            -:    University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
   /              '--.   800 Algoma Boulevard
  /                  `\    Oshkosh, WI  54901-8640
 {                   \/ /   Phone:  414-424-7088
  {_                   /   FAX:    414-424-1101
    ^\           UWO  ;   Email:  bentiven at uwosh.edu
      }            *  |     or:  bentiven at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu