papulospores

John JackMurphy jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORG
Fri Nov 8 16:21:11 EST 1996

Dear fellow mycologists;
    Doesn't our understanding of papulospores hinge upon the fate in nature
of the cells within the papulospore?  It seems reasonable to me that these
cells could be liberated and dispersed in a manner similar to ascospores
from a cleistothecium.  It seems equally reasonable that the papulospore
could be dispersed as a unit, or that it's not dispersed at all but just
sits in place and functions as a sclerotium.  What we really need is some
information about what happens in nature before we conclude anything about
its true function.

sincerely,

Jack

John (Jack) Murphy