John JackMurphy jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORG
Fri Nov 8 16:21:11 EST 1996

Dear fellow mycologists;
    Doesn't our understanding of papulospores hinge upon the fate in nature
of the cells within the papulospore?  It seems reasonable to me that these
cells could be liberated and dispersed in a manner similar to ascospores
from a cleistothecium.  It seems equally reasonable that the papulospore
could be dispersed as a unit, or that it's not dispersed at all but just
sits in place and functions as a sclerotium.  What we really need is some
information about what happens in nature before we conclude anything about
its true function.

John (Jack) Murphy
Dept. of Botany, The Field Museum
Roosevelt Road at Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL   60605
(312) 241-6519

Please also crosspost email messages to  jfmurph1 at until
Dec. 20, 1996.