Eating Sulfur shelf

rexs13 at open.org rexs13 at open.org
Sun Nov 10 23:24:35 EST 1996

>I recently stumbled across a big, mature sulfur shelf
>perched atop an old stump.
>I've since cleaned it, cut/torn it to bits, sauteed it,
>given it a quick boil in chicken stock(seemed appropriate),
>and frozen it.
>I'm now wondering just what the hell to do with it all.
>--

I have eaten chicken of the woods for many years and it is one of my
favorites. Some people report experiencing a slight stomach discomfort
when eating this mushroom. I have never had a problem myself.
You said that you found a mature specimen and tore it to bits. I
suggest that next time you find one you trim only the softer outer
edges as the harder interior parts are somewhat woody unless you find
a very young one.
The first time that I collected them to eat I gathered about three
gallons of them. My mom parboiled and canned them. As we opened the
jars, we ended up going through and discarding about 60% of the
mushrooms as they were as hard as the logs from which they were
gathered.

rexs13

Rex's Fabulous Fungi (including Oregon White and Oregon Black
Truffles)
http://www.teleport.com/~rexs13