Red Mushroom in Manitoba

Steve Davies sdavies at agrium.com
Wed Nov 13 17:35:47 EST 1996

Mycos wrote:

> ksanders at ccinet.ab.ca (Ken Sanderson) wrote:
>
> >Hello all! I was recently on a trip to Manitoba and noticed a mushroom
> >for sale in a market garden. It was called Red Mushroom and the lady
> >working there could not tell me what it was except it was picked in the
> >wild. To me it looked like a russula covered in Hypomyces lactifluorum
> >(lobster mushroom), but the lady assured me it was not two mushrooms,
> >just one.  As I have not seen this type of mushroom before I thought I
> >would throw out a question for confirmation. Has anyone herd of the
> >lobster mushroom being comercially harvested in Manitoba? Or anywhere? If
> >so what prices do they get and how common are they?
>
> >Ken Sanderson
>
> I have a step-father who repeatedly tells me of a similiar sounding
> mushroom that his mother would pick and can on the prairies. I have no
> idea what this mushroom would be as they're technical description
> wasn't to exact. He also mentions orange which furthers the Lobster
> hypothesis. I too am curiuos. Someone please help us! By the way ,my
> step family are of strong Ukranian heritage

I am guessing but the mushroom in question sounds like a bolete commonly
collected by people of Ukrainian heritage in Northern Alberta usually
known as "Red Caps": Leccinum insigne or L. aurantiacum, commonly  found
under Aspen poplars on the Canadian prairies/parklands.  They are a very
popular edible in these parts usually collected late June thru early
July; some people pickle the young buttons in brine.
--
Steve Davies                          Tel: 403-320-4671
Agrium Inc.                           Fax: 403-327-8628