fungal micro-satellites

PostDoc Lab library at noble.org
Thu Nov 14 00:58:24 EST 1996

In article <328B33AC.2A0E at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>, Rodney Earl Pettway
<REPE at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> Could anyone tell me if anyone has found micro-satellites in fungi????
>
> Thank you very much and have a great day!!!!!!!!
>
> Rodney Earl Pettway
There is an article:

BRAITHWAITE KS; MANNERS JM. HUMAN HYPERVARIABLE MINISATELLITE PROBES
DETECT DNA POLYMORPHISMS IN THE FUNGUS COLLETOTRICHUM-GLOEOSPORIOIDES.
CURRENT GENETICS, 1989 DEC, V16 N5-6:473-475.

About five years ago, I myself used Jeffreys human minisatellites 33.6 and
33.15 as multilocus probes and generated polymorphism between races of a
basidiomycete fungus Heterobasidion annosum.  These results indicate that
fungi have abundant minisatellite-like sequences in their genomes.
However, I don't actually know if fungi have "satellite DNA" which is seen
as a satellite band in CsCl gradient analysis.

Takao Kasuga
TKASUGA at NOBLE.ORG