A Request for Help

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Tue Nov 26 16:48:48 EST 1996

In article <32998962.3B09 at sodalia.it> Marco Floriani <floriani at sodalia.it> writes:
>From: Marco Floriani <floriani at sodalia.it>
>Subject: Re: A Request for Help
>Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:56:18 +0100

>Lewis Melville wrote:

>>         There are plenty of ultrastructural features that are unique to
>> different families of fungi. For example, [...] Basidiomycetes have clamp
>> connections [...] You could invent a fictitious ultrastuctural feature,
>> named after me of course :-) for discovering it.
>
>This is a wonderful idea. You could invent a slightly modified type of
>clamp connections and name it the Melville's connections: it sounds
>good,
>doesn't it?

I don't know. I think whatever feature you invent has to seem interesting to a
lay-person. I would favour some sort of mysterious electron-dense mass, maybe
a modified woronin body. Who knows what it's made of.
Remember the shot on 'Outbreak' where they found that the new ebola-like virus
had a spikey coat? That looked interesting, and it means that when you make
the film you can show some sexy-looking TEM or freeze-fracture shots.

Good luck with your writing!

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)