Glow-in-the-dark Fungi

David N. Gaines dgaines at vt.edu
Thu Oct 10 09:19:08 EST 1996

In article <3259AC2B.76A4 at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU>,
gjjohnso at extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU says...

>For a university essay I would like to find out about some glow in the
>dark fungi, to help get me started.
>Why do some fungi glow?
>How do they achieve this?
>Thanks for the help. Would it be possible to email me?

For starters, you might do a computer search in BIOSIS (if your
university is any good it will have this on line or on CD's) and look up
the mushrooms Ompalotus olearius and Omphalotus olivascens.  This should
list scientific publications concerning these mushrooms all the way back
to 1970.  Any earlier publications would be found by searching the more
recent pubs for older references, or paging through BIOLOGICAL ABSTRACTS
year by year.

David