HELP on Grifola frondosa and Ganoderma lucidum

Darin Burleigh burleigh at hackberry.chem.niu.edu
Thu Oct 10 18:26:32 EST 1996

hawtree at rdiv.fnal.gov wrote:

> Does anyone know any lore on Ganoderma lucidum (Ling-Chi or Reishi)
>  or on Grifola frondosa (Hen of the woods, Maitake, Sheep's Head) ?

my information about ling-chi is purely anecdotal. I asked a friend
fom  china, and she said oh sure, every learns about that in
your traditional medicine classes (which of course is standard).
anyway, she said its a general tonic, and sort of immune system
booster.

There is a book, titled 'Reishi', but I forget the author.
I've never actually found the book myself.

The book 'Soma', by R.G.Wasson, makes the case that the legendary
plant of the Rig Veda is Amanita muscaria. He further argues
that stories of Soma made their way to China, where the
spiritual significance became associated with G. lucidum.
(the former argument seems stronger than the latter, I feel).

In some local chinese grocery stores, i've noticed ling-chi
tea - i suppose its dried and powdered. I've also seen it
as sort of bullion form, which came with a lengthy discussion
in chinese.

 - darin
 burleigh at hackberry.chem.niu.edu
 '2 kinds of green, look out!' - dieter rot