Chytrids

Peter Herman rpeter at nmsu.edu
Thu Oct 10 15:26:55 EST 1996

Peter Herman <rpeter at nmsu.edu> wrote:
>ISAAC FORQUER <s001ipf at discover.wright.edu> wrote:
>Dear Fungi lovers,
>	I have two independent questions:
>
>1.)I have been confused lately on the large scale classification
>of the lower fungi (myxo, mastigo and amastigo).  Are they >protists?
>
>2.)  Has anyone ever trapped water molds from bromeliad tanks in
>the rain forest, if so, please get back to me!!!

Question 1 opens a can of worms the proper re-canning of which is
finally pretty well (but not completely) agreed on.  The
myxomycota are generally thought of as polyphyletic and
definately protists rather than "real" fungi.  The mastigomycota
contain several phylogenies.  The Oomycetes
(diplomastigomycotina) are clearly allied to the Chrysophytes in
the protists.  You run ito real diversity in what was once the
Haplomastigomycotina. The Hyphochytrids are not not on the line
to real fungi and are also protistian.  The Plasmodiophoromycetes
are also protists, again unrelated.  The Chytrids are clearly on
the line to the real fungi.  Perhaps the most popular scenario
has one of the chytrids which reproduce by somatogamy leading to
a form resembling something that would be in the current
Endogoales of the Zygomycetes leading to one of the
archaeascomycetes looking like Dipodascus or Dipodascopsis.  All
of the things in the true fungi (except Chytrids) are in what was
the Amstigomycota.

The other can of worms this raises is what to do about teaching
these groups.  Most of us still include them in Mycology courses
because 1) many of them function like fungi 2) for historical
reasons, and 3) because those of us who have worked with members
of the groups hate to see them orphened :-)

On question #2, I see no reason why you should not be able to
"bait" oomycetes out of bromiliad tanks like you do out of any
other standing water, if they are there.