HELP on Grifola frondosa and Ganoderma lucidum

Roy Reehil reehil at servtech.com
Mon Oct 14 13:16:55 EST 1996

Jim,

Just found a large specimen yesterday, about 20lbs. worth. Very tasty! Lots of work cleaning.

Here are some answers to your questions:

1) Easy to cook: sautee w/ small amout of chopped garlic in its own juices. When liquid evaporates add olive
oil or butter, a pinch of salt and cook it until slightly browned. Also, chop it finely and cook same to make a
"mushroom  pesto" serve with grated cheese over pasta!

2) Storage: Clean and cut into cooking size pieces. Freeze in ziplock bags in 1 meal at a time quantities.
Drying works but smells terrible.*

3) Research in progress: National Institute of Health-Japan, National Cancer Institute-USA
See "Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms" Paul Stamets-1993, page 377 & 378
Chemical Phamacological Bulletin 35 (1) 1987

4) *Supposedly dried, crushed and capsulized Mitake has been used with some success as an imuno-enhancer for
AIDS patients, with no side effects.

Hope that helps.

Roy Reehil
Editor, Central NY Mycological Society Newsletter
reehil at servtech.com

PS: some photos of G. frondosa at above www site.