Glow-in-the-dark Fungi

Michael Ziegler mziegler at together.net
Sat Oct 26 21:34:45 EST 1996

I can say with certainty that Panellus stipticus is luminescent. This
summer on a camping trip my wife noticed something glowing in the dark on a
stump and after a bit of investigation it turned out to be Ps. I took some
home to put into culture and indeed the mycelium glow quite nicely. There
is some sectoring of the ability and there was luminescence in cultures
containing antibiotics so I don't think that bioluminescent bacteria are
causing the glow. It is indeed difficult to obtain references on fungal
luminescence (but I have not done an exhaustive literature search) There is
a nice website on bioluminescence http:/www.sd89.bc.ca/stu/9605/w2mar1.htm.

Mike Ziegler