Eating Sulfur shelf

Dayton Marcott daytonm at efn.org
Thu Oct 31 11:54:52 EST 1996

In <553ik6$ked at alexander.INS.CWRU.Edu> eb309 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Brian Wilson) writes:

This from the book "Mushroom Madness":

Schmuck's Jumbo Gumbo

1 cup uncooked short-grain brown rice
2 tbls vegetable oil
1 pound chicken-of-the-woods (sulfur shelf)
1/2 medium head cauliflower or broccoli, chopped
3 carrots, diagonally sliced
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
1/2 pound tempeh, thawed and cubed
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 small head red cabbage, chopped
1/4 cup chopped almonds or cashews
4 cloves garli, minced
3 tbls tamari or soy sauce
1/4 pound Cheddar cheese, grated.

Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add rice. Cover, lower heat and cook
until done. Heat vegetable oil, then stir-fry mushrooms for 5 minutes.
Add cauliflower (or broccoli), carrots, onion, celery and tempeh, and
continue cooking at a medium-high heat until vegetables are almost
tender. Lower heat and add tomatoes, cabbage, cooked rice, nuts, garlic
and tamari. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add grated
cheese, cover and reduce heat. Let sit for another 3 to 5 minutes, then
serve.  Serves 6.

Tell me how it turns out!