Eating Sulfur shelf

John S. Watson - FSC watson at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 31 16:28:01 EST 1996

In article <tNLEMAA66mdyEw9u at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> William Tarr <Wm at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> writes:
>Brian Wilson wrote:
>>I recently stumbled across a big, mature sulfur shelf
>>perched atop an old stump.
>>I must admit that reading about its resemblance to cooked
>>chicken didn't prepare me for how much it REALLY LOOKS like
>>chicken. After a brief boil in stock... it now even smells
>>like chicken.

Not only that, its texture/mouth feel is similar to that of chicken.
I'd think you could easily substitute  for chicken in any casserole
that calls for it.

>Is "sulfur shelf" the same as "chicken of the woods" in the UK?

The Sulphur Shelf/Chicken of the Woods around here (northern california),
is Laetiporus sulphureus.

John S. Watson
NASA Ames Research Center MS/257-7, Moffett Field, CA 94035
http://ccf.arc.nasa.gov/~watson

"If aquarium gravel is so bad for you, how come it tastes so good?"
                          --- Ralph Wiggum