Gymnopilus spectablis anyone?

David N. Gaines dgaines at vt.edu
Fri Sep 6 09:30:03 EST 1996

--
I am looking for information on possible habitat and or forest (tree
species) associations of Gymnopilus spectablis and other members of this
genus.  I have searched for them on and off in hardwood forests of the
Appalachian range (Pennsylvania to Virginia) for the last 15 years and
had little luck.  Several years ago I worked on a mosquito survey in the
flood plains of south central Virginia and found Gymnops on several
occasions.  They were growing on river birch (Betula nigra) stumps and
logs (mid summer) in an area that was pretty much pure river birch. I did
not find them in any other forest type environment.  Unfortunately,  I
did not have time to ID these Gymnops but they were a redish or
pinkish-orange color, had caps 1-2 inches in diameter  and had a distinct
anislike odor.  They did not fit the descriptions of G. spectablis  (i.e.
were too small and too red colored), but had other characteristics of the
genera.  Are G. spectablis typically found in association with a
particular tree species or forest habitat?  Is there a season when they
are more prevalent?  I would appreciate any help I can get on this
subject.

David
--
Blacksburg, VA 24061