Road-loving fungi

David Bartolotta david at bartolotta.com
Wed Sep 11 03:27:00 EST 1996

JeremyBrowne <Jeremy at grazeley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone have any tenable theories why certain fungi flourish by the sides
>of roads, or even in the tarmacadam?

>Also there are a number which gather alongside paths in the woods: why
>there, almost to the exclusion of other locations?

>--
>Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
>jeremy at grazeley.demon.co.uk
>Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)

Some fungi "require" (or like one heck of a lot) disturbed soil.  The
side of a roadway is usually broken/clumped/clusters of dirt due to
the vibrations of traffic and expanding/contracting from temperature
changes.  The same goes for paths in the woods.  There is usually
broken soil beside these paths.  Agaricus augustus likes the
paths/roadways as well as Coprinus comatus.  I'm not saying that these
won't grow anywhere else, it's just that they are commonly found in
this kind of habitat.

I am NOT a scientific guy; I just like picking/eating 'shrooms and
have spent time with David Arora on forays noticing these things.

As always,

David Bartolotta

david at bartolotta.com