Macrolepiota rhacodes allergic reaction

David Bartolotta david at bartolotta.com
Wed Sep 11 03:05:28 EST 1996

Thomas O'Dell <todell at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Go for it only if you are sure of your id.
>M rhachodes is white spored, the flesh bruises orange to reddish brown...
>a similar, highly toxic species, Chlorophyllum molybdites, is
>_green-spored_

>On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, JeremyBrowne wrote:

>> In article <842017584snz at mentec.demon.co.uk>
>>            Graham at mentec.demon.co.uk "Graham Orme" writes:
>>
>> > I have a nice crop of Macrolepiota rhacodes (shaggy parasol) growing
>> > in the garden, which at some stage I would like to eat. However, the
>> > reference books I have, mention that some people are allergic to it,
>> > but they don't go into any detail.
>>
>> Go for it, Graham, they aren't one of the major toxic ones. Try them (don't
>> overdo it, have a small dishful at first), enjoy them, then decide if they give
>> you a guts ache or not. If no problems, you're in clover! I love them.
>>
>> > Please could anyone tell me
>> >   What form the allergic reaction takes
>> 	Gut ache, I believe.
>> >   What proportion of the population might react (is it 25% or 1 in 10000)
>> 	No telling. But you might like to remember that some people can't drink
>> 	cows' milk, some can't eat nuts etc. etc.
>>
>> Good luck
>> --
>> Jeremy Browne, Hampshire, UK
>> jeremy at grazeley.demon.co.uk
>> Shaking Hands BBS, Fidonet 2:252/160 (+44 1252 626233, also FAX)
>>

>odellt at fsl.orst.edu
>Dr. Thomas E. O'Dell, Ph.D.
>USDA Forest Service,
>Forestry Sciences Lab.
>3200 Jefferson Wy.
>Corvallis, OR 97331

A friend of mine has been eating Lepiota rhachodes in volume all
summer long.  He has recently developed a "reaction" to them.  His
mouth gets "tingly/numb" within a minute or so after taking a
mouthfull.  I have known them to have a "laxative" effect on some
folks.  It's alway wise to eat just a small amount of them at first to
test them out.  And DO NOT eat any other kind of 'shrooms with them
for a couple days before OR after.  You will want to have them alone
in your system to make sure that they agree with you.  I've never had
any problems with them.  They are one of my favorites.

The Chlorophyllum molybdites does NOT seem to grow close to the
oceanside areas.  It would be found perhaps 20 miles inland.  This is,
of course, just a rough estimate, but appears to be true in the San
Francisco Bay Area.

As always, be CERTAIN of your identification.  Do a spore print.  Get
to a fungus fair of some sort and look at the differences of the two
species side by side.

And last of all, have a wonderful time with some creative meals.

My very best to all of you,

David Bartolotta

david at bartolotta.com