identity of tiny cantherellus?

Iréne Andersson pri at algonet.se
Sun Sep 15 12:31:38 EST 1996

Hi there!

> dayjay at aol.com (Dayjay) wrote:

> >Fruiting in profusion currently, northern NY state, on a mossy log, on
> >non-mossy parts of the log, and on the ground in mostly conifer forest
> >(log is prob. conifer but not sure), is a tiny chanterelle, with the
> >larger ones being one and a half inches tall, and the cap being three
> >quarter inch diameter.   Many are smaller.  The undersurface of the cap is
> >orange yellow, and the stalk is simlar  color but more orange.  The stalk
> >is hollow.  The top of the cap is brown (like a yellow- brown).  Some caps
> >have a central perforation.  The stalks are hollow.  What is it and is it
> >edible?  Thank you in advance, Jayne.

To me the description sounds more like what we in Sweden call
Cantharellus lutescens or Cantharellus xanthopus (I don´t know your
common name for it), even more tasty than Cantharellus tubaeformis. Make
sure that the undersurface of the cap doesn´t have regular lamellae, but
just ribs. This mushroom usually grows on wet places.
As the described ones seem to grow both on wood and on the ground, it
makes me a bit suspicious...