*DNA isolation*

John Pitkin JPITKIN at MSU.EDU
Tue Sep 17 18:47:25 EST 1996

In article <51n1ph$b9i at netserv.waikato.ac.nz>, COLLINR at Agresearch.cri.nz
(ROGER COLLIN) wrote:

> I am starting a project on RAPD analysis of a saprophytic fungus.  I have
> looked at a number of methods for the isolation of DNA from fungi and would
> greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience in this field.
> Which method is the quickest yet still gives genomic DNA of a quality which
> can be used for PCR?
>
> Thanks, Roger Collin

We use a CTAB extraction method for DNA isolation Cochliobolus carbonum.
This method has also been tested with several other filamentous fungi. We
routinely use DNA isolated this way for PCR.  I posted the technique
several months ago, and it can also be found in  Pitkin et al,
Microbiology v.142 pp.1557-1565.

--
John Pitkin
MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory