Gymnopilus spectablis anyone?

Mycos williams at netshop.net
Thu Sep 19 06:13:30 EST 1996

mad at banach.math.purdue.edu (Michael A. Dritschel) wrote:

>In article <50pc86$bdp at solaris.cc.vt.edu>, dgaines at vt.edu (David N. Gaines) writes:
>>
>> I am looking for information on possible habitat and or forest (tree
>> species) associations of Gymnopilus spectablis and other members of this
>> genus.  I have searched for them on and off in hardwood forests of the
>> Appalachian range (Pennsylvania to Virginia) for the last 15 years and
>> had little luck.  Several years ago I worked on a mosquito survey in the
>> flood plains of south central Virginia and found Gymnops on several
>> occasions.  They were growing on river birch (Betula nigra) stumps and
>> logs (mid summer) an an area that was pretty much pure river birch. I did
>> not find them in any other forest type environment.  Unfortunately,  I
>> did not have time to ID these Gymnops but they were a redish or
>> pinkish-orange color, had caps 1-2 inches in diameter  and had a distinct
>> anslike odor.  They did not fit the descriptions of G. spectablis  (i.e.
>> were too small and too red colored), but had other characteristics of the
>> genera.  Are G. spectablis typically found in association with a
>> particular tree species or forest habitat?  Is there a season when they
>> are more prevalent?  I would appreciate any help I can get on this
>> subject.
>>
>> David
>> --
>> .... --- .-- -.. -.--   ..-. .-. --- --
>> Blacksburg, VA 24061
>> dgaines at vt.edu
>> -.. .-.-.-   -. .-.-.-   --. .- .. -. . s

Hi David,
 I have in my collection here a species I believe to be Gymnopilus
aeruginosus. There were a number of them growing on dead and down
poplar trees in a riparian location. The trees were small and only
slightly decomposed. The caps when fresh were multi-hued but seem to
have lost this characteristic upon drying. Now they seem to present
only a rust-red coloration.

                                          Gary Williams
<williams at netshop.net>