Are Deuteromycetes Universally Amylolytic?

Eric Robb Siegel esiegel at UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU
Sun Sep 22 18:50:45 EST 1996

They shouldn't be *universally* amylolytic, but there should be many that
do as you describe.  What species have you tried?

By the way, if they're making iodine-stainable zones in "plain Agar",
presumably meaning just plates poured with agar autoclaved in tapwater or
distilled water, that might mean that they are *manufacturing* and
*excreting* amyloid or dextrinoid material into the medium, not degrading
it.

What color does iodine stain a water-agar plate?  What else does iodine
stain?