Are Deuteromycetes Universally Amylolytic?

Steve Carpenter - Cascade Research Assoc. microbe at clark.pioneer.net
Tue Sep 24 08:19:15 EST 1996

You are going to have to test an overwhelming number of organisms to prove
any "universal" hypothesis about the Deuteromycetes.

The Deuteromycetes are, basically, "the rest of the fungi" i.e. the
asexual fungi.  Their lineages trace to the Basidiomycetes, Ascomycetes,
Zygomycetes, and so forth.

As a group, the Deuteromycetes have no high degree of relationship
phylogenetically, which implies no high degree of relationship
biochemically or physiologically.  Within any given "genus" of
Deuteromycetes, there IS, of course, a greater degree of relationship.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong in trying this, but a claim to
anything universal about the Deuteromycetes is a tough nut to crack and
would require a phenomenal amount of testing across all known taxa.

-Steven E. Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
   & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 microbe at pioneer.net

Ribosome96 at aol.com wrote:
: I am refering to clearing zones around the fungal colony while the rest of
: the water based agar (plus mineral salts minus CHO source) are stained  with
: brownish-yellowish color of iodine stain. I think this is the color  dextrin,
: or partialy degraded  amylose impart with iodine  solution.Try it with any
: deuteromycetes (stick to the old meaning of deuteromycetes because somebody
: is asserting that deuteros are ascomycetes..). that's why I am proposing that
: deuteromycetes are universally amylolytic whether it may degrade amylose or
: probably its swollen  counterpart or its molecular intermediate form.

: In case the deuteros produce amyloid around its vicinity then might as well
:  stain around it but that is not the case with my experiement..it is  a
: clearing zone that develops.

: ITS
: Research Consultant