Introductory Mycology, week IV: Phragmobasidia

George Wong gwong at uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 24 20:13:09 EST 1996

In article <9609201536.AA16475 at fmppr.fmnh.org>, jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORG
says...

>Dear mycetophiles;
>   Most introductory mycology texts have these wonderful illustrations
of
>the various types of phragmobasidia, and upon occasion I've been lucky
>enough to make good sections of Tremella and Dacrymyces and to see the
real
>thing.  Auricularia, however, stumps me.  Does anyone have any
suggestions
>for techniques for visualizing individual basidia of Auricularia for the
>light microscope?  The simpler the method,  the better - this is a
teaching
>exercise and we don't have the wherewithal to use microtomes,
>freeze-fracture, or SEMs...
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>Jack
>Dr. John (Jack) Murphy
>
>Dept. of Botany         Dept. of Botany
>The Field Museum                University of Wisconsin, Madison
>Chicago, IL 60605-2496  Madison, Wisconsin  53706-1381
>(312) 922-9410 ext. 722 (608)-262-8644
>fax (312) 427-2530              jfmurph1 at facstaff.wisc.edu

Dear Jack:

        Regarding your question on the Auricularia basidium, I'm afraid
that Auricularia is not a good species to use for observing a
transversely-septate phragmobasidium.  The basidia of Auricularia species
are very compact and held together by a gelatinous matrix that will not
allow observation of an individual basidium regardless of how hard you
may smash down on the coverslip.  Even when you make sections that are
only one to several cells thick, you would still not be able to visualize
an entire, individual basidium since it's likely that your section will
be somewhat oblique and adjacent basidia, on the same plane, would still
be stuck together by the gelatinous matrix, making observation of
phragmobasidial structures impossible.
        If you want your students to see an entire transversely-septate
basidium of the Auriculariales, you should use one of the other genera in
this order.  Helicogloea is probably the best genus to use.
Unfortunately, it is one of those resupinate types which are extremely
difficult to recognize in the field.  I've collected it, but only after
hours of searching.  Even then more than 95% of my collections usually
turn out to be resupinate homobasidiomycetes, with, if I'm lucky, only
one or two specimens of Helicogloea.  You might try Eocronartium
musicola.  This is a species that grows among mosses and superficially
resembles an unbranched fruitbody of a coral fungus.  I've never looked
at the basidium of this species, but at least it will be a species that
you may be able to locate without too much trouble.  If you are able to
try this species, let me know how it works. We don't have this species in
Hawaii and I've never looked at it under the microscope prior to moving
to here.
        I guess I wasn't much help with your problem.  Sorry.

Sincerely,

George J. Wong
Associate Professor
of Botany