morel habitat

Bruce Smith bruce.smith at nashville.com
Thu Apr 3 20:33:13 EST 1997

        My mushroom hunting friends and I found our first yellow morels
yesterday (April 2) in middle Tennessee. We were surprised because the
black morels were never abundant this year despite adequate rain.  It must
have been the cold snaps in late March that kept them from fruiting the way
we have seen them in the past. At any rate, when we collected our first
Morchella esculenta we made plans to go straight to our primary morel site
which we visited today. The hunting was completely in vain at the first
three spots we searched. Then we tried a new plot where we immediately
started finding small, amber morel heads poking up through the gray leaves.
There were not many of them. As I scoured the ground I was thinking how
familiar I found this kind of place to be. It was fairly steep. There were
numerous, medium sized tulip poplar trees. The fallen leaves were thick
under my feet. Mayapples, jack-in-the-pulpit, and trillium were nearby. The
morels were scattered, not bunched in patches like Morchella elata seems to
be. So if you would like to find morels for yourself, now you know the type
of place to look for.
Bruce Smith