acremonium

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:47:16 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/mycology #2727, from scotcamp at erols.com, 1333 chars, Fri  18
Apr 1997 18:10:42 -0
> ----------
> Article: 4821 of bionet.mycology
> From: Scott Campanella <scotcamp at erols.com>
> Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
> Subject: acremonium
> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:10:42 -0400
>

> Hi,
>
>  I am a QC Microbiologist in the medical device field.  One of my
> sterility samples came up contaminated with a mold.  I identified it
> be of the genus Acremonium. Al I have been able to find out is that it
> is found in soil, insects and sewage.  I have tested 90 samples and
> found it in only one.  I need more info please.  The product might
need
> to be recalled.
>
>  1.  Could this possibly be some sort of environmental
> contaminant?
>
>  2.  How pathogenic is this?
>
>  3.  How resistant to heat is it?  We sterilize at 126 degrees C
> for 22 hours.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,
What kind of heating/air conditioning system do you have ?
This may seem a silly question but many years ago I took over a lab with
air blown radiator heating (very antique) which had not been used for
several years. We took over the labs, switched on the heater blowers and
everything we tried to grow was completely swamped (really completely)
with what we could only identify as Acremonium.( I'm not a brilliant
taxonomist but it was as near as we could get and I had never seen
anything like this level of contamination.) The situation lasted for
about 4 weeks with loads of bench, floor etc ,etc, treatment and then
faded out.
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading,