Soil fungi

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:47:08 EST 1997

> ==========
> bionet/mycology #2698, from mik_daha at luecology.ecol.lu.sexx, 818
chars, Fri  11 Apr 1997 13:12:24 -0
> ----------
> Article: 4788 of bionet.mycology
> From: David Hagerberg <mik_daha at luecology.ecol.lu.sexx>
> Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
> Subject: Soil fungi
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 13:12:24 -0700
>
> I'm working with different fungi associated with the rhizosphere. I
want
> to know wether anybody has any suggestion how to see or detect their
> status and actions in the soil.
>
> Best Regards!
There are saprophytes, soil borne plant pathogens and the group you
simply must cover which are the mycorrhizae. These form symbiotic
associations with MOST plants and can be vital to the survival of the
plant.

Any study of plants which ignores the mycorrhizae is a study of an
artifact. (A slogan lifted from the BEG organisation at the University
of Kent at Canterbury, U.K. with which I completely agree).
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading, U.K.
AKA <P.J.Harris at reading.ac.uk>