green fluorescent protein

Barry Bowman bowman at biology.ucsc.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:56:28 EST 1997

A few months back there was an exchange concerning the use of GFP in
filamentous fungi, especially Neurospora.  People weren't having much luck.
At the recent Fungal Genetics meeting one group showed that one reason
that GFP may not be expressed is because some fungi recognize part of the
coding region as an intron and splice it out.  This group had introduced
sequence changes that prevented this from happening.

I vaguely remember someone telling me that some of the commercial versions
of GFP were expressed well in filmetous fungi.  We want to use GFP in
Neurospora.  Any advice?  --Barry Bowman