Bioassay for fungal biomass in soils

Travis Idol travisi at forest1.fnr.purdue.edu
Wed Aug 13 14:02:09 EST 1997

Hi,

I'm a grad student interested in ergosterol extraction from soils in
order to obtain a measure of fungal biomass.  After reading several
articles, I have hit upon a method I'd like to use, but some of the
equipment listed in the article is unfamiliar to me.  Specifically, can
anyone describe to me, if only briefly, the nature of the following
items.  If you know of a supplier of these items, that information would
also be much appreciated.

Pressure reaction tubes
Sonicator
Evaporator that can be used to dry samples under N2 gas

The reference for this method is Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 60: 468-471.

Thanks,

Travis Idol