Bioassay for fungal biomass in soils

Jessie Micales jmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 15 08:14:05 EST 1997

Travis Idol <travisi at forest1.fnr.purdue.edu> wrote:

>Specifically, can
>anyone describe to me, if only briefly, the nature of the following
>items.  If you know of a supplier of these items, that information would
>also be much appreciated.
>
>Pressure reaction tubes
>Sonicator
>Evaporator that can be used to dry samples under N2 gas

A sonicator is a device which cracks open cell walls by blasting
them with shattering sound waves. They are very noisy - you should
use ear protection when you run them!  I would think that most
scientific supply houses would carry them (such as Fisher, Thomas,
SP, etc.)

I assume that the evaporator that is referred to would be similar
to those used in organic and biochemistry.  You might want to
check with your chemistry department for more details.

You've got me on pressure reaction tubes though.  Perhaps you can
call the author of the article?  Most scientists are quite happy
to answer questions about their work.

Good luck.

Jessie