Mushroom agroforestry

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Fri Aug 22 12:16:12 EST 1997

Charles Samuels wrote:

> Larry Caldwell wrote: I found a PNW supplier, dwheeler at teleport.com
> (Daniel Wheeler) who provided
>
> > a Douglas Fir innoculant package consisting of martellia brunnescens,
> > hymenogaster parksii, barrsia oregonensis, and what he lists as "tuber
> >
> > sps."  I used a slurry innoculation technique, and simply dipped the
> > seedlings in a 5-gallon bucket filled with slurry before planting
> > them.
> >
> > Daniel posts to bionet.mycology from time to time, and his posts on
> > this
> > subject are well worth retrieving from deja
> > news.(http://www.dejanews.com
> > if you're not familiar with the archive service.)
> >
> > Not only is there a potential for a crop of highly prized mushrooms,
> > but
> > the mycorrhizal association should (at least theoretically) help
> > seedling
> > survival and growth.
> >
> > I think there might also be a chance that beneficial fungi can
> > suppress
> > destructive fungi that cause root rot and various log defects.   This
> > is
> > just my own guess, but it makes sense to me.  If I'm totally wrong,
> > I'll
> > find out about it some day, if I live that long.
> >

> Thanks for the information Larry.  I will check it out.  I have a small
> plantation of Lodgepole and other pines and wonder if there is someway
> of inocculating existing trees.

Thats what I was wondering too. I suppose that you could interplant
among your larger trees. There's normally connections between adjacent
root systems: as you'd notice if you used a systemic herbicide. I'm not
sure if the mycorhiza would become established before the new seedlings
got shaded out.
Another question. About how long does it take to grow truffles? Since
they're out of sight deciding on picking might be difficult. Although
that may be why you want your hogs to ring ;)
Mike H