Differential counts of WBCs (neutrophils)

Lester Pasarell Lester.Pasarell at utmb.edu
Mon Feb 3 13:11:21 EST 1997

At 10:31 AM 2/3/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Helloo....
>
>I am working on an animal model of primary pulminory aspergillosis caused
>by A. fumigatus....Things are going ok except one thing...my stainig
>techniques to perform a neutrophil differential count....I am using diff
>quick but I am not getting a good stain..so is there anybody out there
>that did a neutrophil stain on a mouse blood sample?...It would be a great
>help if any of you out there know the answer to this...  Thank you in
>advance...
>

>Dagmawi

You may want to check out a good Medical Laboratory/hematology book for
procedures for staining WBC. Wright stain and H&E are good reliable choices
for looking at neutrophils and other blood cells in almost any animal model.
Wright staining procedure is very fast and reliable. It also looks likes you
may be using old stains or have a problem with the quality control of the
procedure...since you are not giving specifics of what is wrong with the
stain...are the cells understained? or overstained?

Lester Pasarell-Luiggi
Medical Mycology Reference Laboratory
Department of Pathology
University of Texas Medical Branch