deadly Boletus look-alike in the Sierra?

Charles A. Peavey cpeavey at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 3 19:14:56 EST 1997

John S. Watson - FSC wrote:

> So I was interested in knowing what boletus,
> or look, alike these people could have been eating?
> All my mushrooms books show boletes that can
> cause stomach aches, vomiting and diarrhea,
> but none that can kill you.
>
> Surely it is not possible to  mistake something like
> Death Caps for boletus?   Since I regularly find Boletus Edulus
> in the Sierra, I'd like to know if there's  a boletus
> out there that might do me in.
>
> Thanks,
> John
> John S. Watson
> NASA Ames Research Center
> http://ccf.arc.nasa.gov/~watson

in our area. Mendocino county, California, I have been warned recently
by a mycologist  who teaches a mushroom identification course at the
local community college, that there is a Boletus edulis look-alike and
is referred to as Satan`s Bolete, I believe that David Aurora makes
reference to it in Mushrooms Demystified. I dont have my reference handy
so can not tell you the species name but the defining characteristic is
that it stains blue when the stem is bruised or scratched.  I have yet
to actually see one.

Best regards