deadly Boletus look-alike in the Sierra?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Feb 11 01:53:33 EST 1997

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Charles A. Peavey wrote:

> in our area. Mendocino county, California, I have been warned recently
> by a mycologist  who teaches a mushroom identification course at the
> local community college, that there is a Boletus edulis look-alike and
> is referred to as Satan`s Bolete, I believe that David Aurora makes
> reference to it in Mushrooms Demystified. I dont have my reference handy
> so can not tell you the species name but the defining characteristic is
> that it stains blue when the stem is bruised or scratched.  I have yet
> to actually see one.

A number of boletes stain blue, including some very edible species.
In general, the combination of blue staining and red stem or pores is
a danger signal.  Some boletes with these characteristics can be
violent pukers.  You may not die, but you may wish you had. :)

I don't see the poisonous species as resembling edulis much.  Boletes
are a pretty safe genus to browse, as long as you use reasonable
care.

-- Larry