Collecting Techniques Query

Thomas ODell odellt at ucs.orst.edu
Fri Feb 21 16:14:54 EST 1997

You might consult the  How to know the Non-gilled
mushrooms (1981) and How to know the gilled mushrooms (1979) by Smith,
A.H., Smith, H.V. and Weber N.S. Wm. C. Brown and Co., Dubuque, Iowa.
The basic preservation technique is drying over low (ca. 40 degrees C)
heat with good air circulation; large specimens are cut in half or
smaller. Notes on fresh color etc. are indispensible.
A reference to the microscopic study of specimens is How to Identify
Mushrooms to Genus III: Microscopic Features. Largent et al., 1977. Mad
River Press. (Rt. 2 Box 151B, Eureka, CA 95501). An excellant reference,
as is the rest of the series.
cheers!

Thom O'Dell
Regional Mycologist
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service
Assistant Professor (Courtesy)
Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University
Forestry Sciences Laboratory
3200 Jefferson Way
Corvallis, Oregon 97331    U.S.A.
phone: (541) 750-7404      fax: (541) 750-7329
Email:  odellt at fsl.orst.edu     http://www.orst.edu/~odellt