Collecting Techniques Query

Jerome Freed jjfreed at
Fri Feb 21 14:59:06 EST 1997

I am looking for sources of information on techniques for microscopic
examination of mushroom spores and for preserving mushrooms for future
study and reference.

A retired cell biologist living in Philadelphia, I recently became
interested as an amateur in the study of wild mushrooms.  I have 40-odd
years of experience as a biologist and microscopist, but all with animal
cell systems.  My guides to wild mushrooms, i.e, the McKnights' Peterson
Guide, Roger Phillips' Mushrooms of North America, O.K.Miller's 1972
Mushrooms of North America, explain how to collect and study mushrooms.
But they all stop short of actually describing laboratory techniques.

Can anyone refer me to books or information on:

1. How to make preparations of spores to study morphology, iodine
reaction, etc.

2. How to preserve mushrooms for later study, e.g, next year.  70%

Many thanks,

Jerry Freed