Fungal ID

Jim Worrall jworrall at
Wed Feb 26 15:39:18 EST 1997

> I am beginnning some research into environmental fungi.  I need a good
> reference to help ID some of the isolates I am getting.  Anyone know of
> a good key to use?  My training is in bacteriology so this fungal stuff
> is relatively new to me.  Any reference specific to aquatic &/or
> thermophilic fungi would really be helpful.

Assuming that you are mostly isolating imperfect (anamorphic)
fungi, a reasonable place to start is Barnett and Hunter,
Illustrated Genera of Imperfect Fungi, Fourth Edition, 1987.
But identifying cultures really requires a lot of training.
I suggest you find some qualified help.
Jim Worrall

Jim Worrall
SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry
Syracuse NY 13210